Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Izapa, Mexico

Back when I presented this project:


To my Digital Design class, there was a Proffesor working at the back of the room who saw it and went nuts. He asked more questions about the project than my classmates did. A couple of weeks later this Proffesor, Dennis Lisonbee, approached me about a short documentary he was working on with a BYU Proffesor about some ruins in Mexico. Garth Norman has made a life's study around Izapa Mexico. There is significant evidence that the Mayan Calendars were all refined and organised here. This place has special alignments, places where 3 or more monuments and mounds line up with various zeniths, equinoxes and seasonal events. I have spent much of my spare time over the last 4 months reproducing this place in detail, right down to the topography for use in a short documentary.

I know know more than I ever thought I would about Mayan/Olmec cultures. There is a potential that through this short documentary I could get more similar work. I really like this Digital Archeology thing. Following are a few of my renders from this project that I use with permission.

Stela 8, 9 and 10 on the front of mound 30
Stela 5, the "Tree of Life" Stela

Stela 5 detail, upper portion of the "Tree of Life"

Zenith Sunrise

Central Alignment (left) and Plaza B (right)


Here is the Documentary.

As of today, you can now see the Izapa movie I did all the 3D work for recently!




1 comments:

PopocaAL said...

http://estela5izapapopoca.blogspot.com

Post a Comment